Tuesday, May 30, 2006

a separate peace

Rudely awakened by my cellphone, I shrug off my desire to just lie down on my bed and continue my sweet slumber. Our phone conversation the previous night suddenly fades into memory. It didn't end so well.

Another day, another struggle. Another struggle to quicken every step, every movement just to make it in time. Another struggle at the MRT station amidst the warm smell of sweat and morning breath which cannot be avoided when one is caught in the sea of gnashing bodies.

Another struggle to keep warm in the numbing cold of the centralized office air conditioning. Another struggle to keep awake.

But I'm happy.

I'm happy because I know what really matters in my life. I'm happy because I have been reminded of this by the scripture that I read earlier today during my short fifteen minutes of a separate peace. If death comes to me tonight I'm not going to worry about my job or my things or the things that I still haven't owned. I'm going to worry about the people I'd leave behind. My loved ones -- they're the ones that really matter.

No comments: