Friday, June 16, 2006

a near-life experience

Yesterday a friend of mine got hit by a truck and was sent to a hospital. Suddenly I wanted to know everything about the accident and my orgmate, but it seemed the people I texted didn't have access to first-hand information either. Memories of the loss of Jomar, also an org officer at the time, came flashing back to me. All I could do was pray.

People know they're going to die eventually, but don't actually believe it. We live each and every day of our lives as if there will always be a tomorrow, as if we and the ones we love are immortal. Death is always in the news and in the obituaries, but we don't really accept the fact that we or the people close to us will someday share a similar fate. If we did believe in our mortality, we'd live differently. We'd live each and every day to the fullest.

But it's so hard. In our fast-paced lives, one must always look ahead and plan for the next day, week, month, or even years.

Thankfully Kalil is fine. I don't know the details but a friend assured me that he's going to be okay. Soon things will go back to normal.

No comments: